Sunday, March 28, 2010

Opinions wanted

Family and friends! I want your opinions. We are debating on what room to put the baby in when she comes - IF we stay in this house. We have a few options.

The first is our room (when it is clean, lol). This is the small bedroom, it has wood floors and heating and cooling we know work - though like any room with the wall/ceiling units, the floor is always drafty... It also has a door that opens onto the balcony (that we never use).

This is the closet in the small bedroom. It slides open on both sides revealing a deep wooden shelf about waist high and another one higher up (I can't even touch it!). It is deep enough to easily hold our giant suitcases and probably put a small baby bed on the shelf if we wanted to leave one of the doors open, instead of putting a baby bed on the floor beside ours.

This is the big bedroom. It's huge. We have never spent any real time in there, and just use it for storage. We assume the heating/cooling, lights, and outlets all work fine. All the windows do allow for nice air flow throughout the entire upstairs though! One option we have here is to divide this room into either baby's room, a play room, a living area, and/or move our room into half of it. We have debated on moving our main living area upstairs (couch, computer, games, kotatsu, etc) to leave the downstairs ready for company and save on heating/cooling costs. We've also thought about moving our room to the big room and making the smaller one the nursery.


This is a view of part of the hallway. On the left is the door to the small room (which you can't see) and on the right are the two doors into the big room. Since the rooms are so close together, whichever room the baby is in, we'll still be nice and close to each other. :-)

*We DO plan on keeping baby with us for the first few months before moving her into a separate room.
*As for decorating, we cannot paint (the walls are some type of textured panneling) and cannot put too many holes in the walls, as they are not easily repairable. So suggestions on making whichever room baby-friendly would be nice too!

Thanks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, good thoughts, Stacey! We LOVE our "co-sleeper", we call it "The Baby Shelf". : ) And right on with the black-out shades too! My kids must have gotten literally hundreds of hours more sleep over the years, because of the window quilts I hang in their rooms.
My experience says don't worry too much over where to put the baby, these things work out on their own once the situation develops, but I also remember my first, and that desperate need to have something planned and prepared. I'll go with Stacey again- the little room, unless you have outrageous American amounts of baby gear, and want to just have everything in the same room- then the BIG ONE! : ) Haha!
Have fun with all this, Kristen!
Becky Ruse

Anonymous said...

Oh shucks. I spelled your name wrong.
Beccy ( there. I got even with me.)

Rachael said...

I can tell you what we did, but I think it will really depend on the personality of your baby and what you use the room for. It is nice to have a separate 'kids room' to store their clothes/toys/changing table and such. It also doubles as a play area (or you can use your regular living space).

Sleep-wise, we keep the kids sleeping in our room for a few years and then transition them out and that works really well for us.

I'd say that for the early months I'd move your bedroom to the big bedroom so that you can fit all the baby stuff in there easily. The biggest way to prevent sleep deprivation in the early days it to never get out of bed or turn on a light in the middle of the night unless it's an emergency. So I had a flashlight, diapers and wipes, a wetbag for dirty diapers, and a few changes of clothes all stored in the cosleeper so whenever the bayb woke up to eat I could nurse laying down and then change them quickly without moving too much.

So I guess I would say...Be flexible and willing to experiment with different arrangements!