Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Easter again

I just have to say the kids here LOVE the "American" Easter. For many of them, it's the very first time they've seen or heard of it. Since Japan is all about cuteness, the little chicks/ducks, bunnies, etc and all the pastel colors are a huge hit. "Kawaii!!", they exclaim. We're doing "Easter" this week at school because the past two weeks the kids have been adjusting to their new classes. We've been doing egg hunts for the activity/game time - either hiding chocolate candy around the room and giving clues to find it or putting fun questions in the colorful plastic eggs, depending on the age group, but of course everyone ends up with a treat. :-) The smaller kids do a full-on egg hunt since they're a bit more oblivious to the eggs hidden around the room. Wow. My first year PK kids had a blast today once they figured out the concept of searching for them and their reward. They all had colorful pictures and chocolate lining the corners of their mouths when they greeted their parents after class!! Hehe!

6 comments:

J.R. Jr. said...

Were you two able to tell the real reason for why we celebrate Easter? I remember when I was there that you had like little half sheets with a short description about Easter on it and on the bottom it talked about the resurrection of Jesus on it. I was just wondering about all that.

Anonymous said...

Hey can I come to your class? he he!

Josiah said...

Hey can I come to your class? he he!
sorry first time I commented so the Anonymous is me! lol

mom said...

My dad always gave us the best egg hunts. Tons of candy and money eggs. Gobs for each of us even though there were 5. He would line up 3 or 4 really big chocolate bunnies on the table with numbers on them. We would have to find the egg with that number in it to win the prize. Competition was stiff! Dad made it so much fun that one year he decided that he wanted to do the hunting too. We have a picture of him with his bowl (he didnt make himself a basket) hunting eggs in the yard.
Happy Hunting to your students!

Jeremy and Kristin Bowman said...

We handed out those half-sheets and read them in class with our students. Most didn't ask questions or want further clarification. I was able to share a bit more of the story when describing some definitions, but otherwise, no. Part of me feels like I should have discussed it further, but part of me kept wondering how it would be received (and if they'd even understand). Almost all of our private students have had the Gospel explained to them at some point by other teachers. I was surprised to discover that some have even done bible studies as their English lessons, though they are not Christians. One previous teacher really made her job work as evangelism. I'm proud of her for doing that, and wish I could do more of the same.

Jeremy and Kristin Bowman said...

Sounds like Grandpa really had fun with you guys! I love hearing stories about him. He sounds like he was such a wonderful person!